LEMON BARLEY WATER
Equipment: Good sized pan,Bucket & peeler or zester.
- 4 oz Pearl barley,*
- 4 Lemons,
- 4oz Sugar.
- 2 Pints Water.
- Put pearl Barley into a large pan, just cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Drain, rinse with cold water and return to the pan. Cover with 2 pints of cold water and bring back to the boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Peel or Zest the rind from the lemons as thinly as possible,sqeeze the juice, strain the barley liquid into a bucket, add the sugar, lemon rind + juice. Stir well and leave to cool.
- When cool, (strain again if required) pour into clean bottle(s), store in fridge.
- When required, dilute to taste.
- Add Ice cubes to glass/tumbler if preference.
Again, made this many times. (Originator of recipe; Shirley Goode).
* Left over barley can be added to soups, Stews, Casseroles or frozen away to be used later.
When I had my Allotments for many years on Chester Road Site, any surplus fruit and veg was always made into Cordials or Wine, Never wasted!